Monday, December 12, 2005

Eye For An Eye

I detest the culture built upon selected passages from the bible used by fundies that support the death penalty. I happen to believe the death penalty is morally wrong but that is an argument that does not work any more. Most people support the death penalty because they take false comfort in their ignorant belief that only guilty people are put to death. In every conversation I now have with people that support the death penalty I now simply ask: are you willing to kill innocent people? One has to be willing to kill innocent people to continue administration of death as punishment. Like George Bush, most idiots think because a jury found a person guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and that a person had a right to appeal, that they are "guilty". I'll save analysis on that point for a later post but I will say that assumption is not well-founded.

I don't know much about Tookie Williams but I do hope that his friends and supporters can ignite the important debate about what we gain as a society by killing our fellow citizens. The California Supreme Court has left this call in the able hands of The Terminator.

No comments: