Thursday, January 03, 2008

All Things Considered, I'd Rather Be In ...

Iowa?

You know, I like to consider myself the Angie Dickinson of the Rising Hegemon Rat Pack. But with Attaturk, DeDurkheim, and Champollion (respectively, the Frank Sinatra, Joey Bishop, and Dean Martin of our little crew) out galavanting in Iowa with the likes of Jane Hamsher and Jeralyn Merrit and me stuck here in frigid NYC, I'm beginning to feel more like poor Nancy Barbato, who had to stay home and seethe in Jersey while Frank carried on with Ava Gardner and Lana Turner out in Hollywood.

I'll have to see what sort of trouble I can get into while the boys are away...

My mayor has obviously grown bored with his job. Good. Go back to running your company. I can think of a couple of great people to run the show here in the Big Town, starting with this guy.

What does Karl Rove value above all in his friends? Read this, and then marvel at either his total lack of self-awareness or his ability to lie with impunity.

The article is unfortunately not online, but if you're hankering for something interesting to read, you could do worse than to check out Mystery on Pearl Street by Burkhard Bilger in the current issue of the New Yorker.  

Finally, following up on yesterday's screed, as always, driftglass says it better than I ever could (plus, he got into the Photoshop again).

No comments: