Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Celebrity Rehashing

When the media gets a hold of something and promotes it many times it's cheapened because it's driven by the market and not the needs of the audience.  The whole thing about rehab for the masses via these so-called reality shows is disturbing to me.  I did watch Celebrity Rehab, Intervention, Breaking Bonnaduce, and the Sizemore one to see what was happening and was not impressed.   I never watched beyond one episode.

Most folks who suffer from alcoholism and drug addiction are ashamed and hide their disease.  And the detox is never pretty but it is a very private affair.  Almost sacred in fact which I think it still remains.

To have a substance that a person has been addicted to for most of their life and have it wretched out of them is a very private, powerful, and even spiritual discipline. 

What I see on television  is a whole lot of acting out for the cameras.  There is some honesty but for the most part I wonder how much is embellished because you're on a national stage.  I suppose with the writer's strike we can only expect more of this crap.  Way to go for quality television execs!

These programs somehow feel crass, manipulative, and so like unreasonable intrusion to me.  What do you all think?  Is there anyone out there in the blogasphere that wants to defend these shows?

No comments: