Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The Hillary Machine

Asked very early in this process, probably more than six months ago, by a local friend of the Clinton's, and an acquaintance of mine (he is a big honcho in local Democratic party politics) who I was supporting, my answer was: not Hillary unless and until she becomes the nominee. Like everyone else I have my reasons why I am not supporting Hillary yet--which I can assert without becoming too snide while talking to her supporters. The response from the friend of Hillary was, in essence, you will come around. So the reason I wouldn't declare for Hillary, and what I told our mutual friend, is that I did not like being told whom to support. I did not want to support the candidate that the machine supported, having been so let down by the machine the last two presidential elections.

Hillary has been the machine candidate since, well forever. I am told she has signed up four thousand people to drive voters to caucuses (Kerry by comparison had 300). I don't know whether being on the Letterman show will give her any advantage tomorrow, but Obama and Edwards had better have their organizations ready to roll or they will get trampled by the Clinton machine.

No comments: