Monday, January 07, 2008

Obamania

How one extrapolates nationally from a precinct level turnout and result, or even a statewide result like the one that occurred in Iowa, I don't know. What I can say, having attended a caucus less than one week ago, is that it was impossible to ignore the vibe. I don't think Iowa created it but I do believe that the results here fanned the flames already burning and turned it into an old fashioned prairie fire.

All over the national press, cable telee-vision, the blogosphere, etc., there is word of a Clinton campaign in full-blown crisis mode (here for example). That this fits in well with a narrative the national press prefers given its distaste for Hillary which, as already argued by bigger bloggy blogs than this one, is quite unfair, but I don't think that made a difference here in Iowa. My unscientific observations here, which I believe will be duplicated outside of Iowa, is that the results had nothing to do with press. Senator Clinton received plenty of favorable if not fact-based reporting in the run up to the caucuses.

All you had to do was walk into one caucus site last Thursday to experience the difference between the source of the real energy in the place and, unfortunately for Senator Clinton, it wasn't with her supporters. Right now Obama has the mojo, not Hillary and not even her husband has it.

No comments: